One of the best benefits of membership in 100 Women Who Care is the ability to nominate a nonprofit. Any certified nonprofit (501(c)3) that will use our funds to support our Rhode Island community is eligible. We encourage all our members to nominate. Even if your organization is not funded, members will learn about it.
An organization is eligible to be entered into the draw until it is funded. Once an organization has received funding from 100 Women Who Care RI, it will not be eligible to be funded again for 3 years. You can find a list of past recipients and the dates of their award here.
Please note, organizations that are not eligible for funding include:
• Organizations without 501(c)(3) tax-exempt public nonprofit status as defined by the IRS
• Political, fraternal, or veterans organizations
• Organizations that educate or support through their funding, political, fraternal or veterans organizations
• Religious institutions when the contribution would support sectarian activities
• Organizations that discriminate by race, creed, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis prohibited by law
HELPFUL TALKING POINTS
There’s a lot to cover, but the following points should help you advocate for membership support of your organization:
• Plan for your presentation to be 5 minutes or fewer.
• State your name and the name of the organization that you would like to receive funding.
• State the mission of the organization, its current sources of funding, and its annual operating budget.
• Recount how you became familiar with the organization.
• Describe the way in which the organization would use our funds: How many and who will the donation impact?
• Consider recounting a compelling example of an individual served or a need met by the organization
• Describe what will be missing from the Rhode Island community if this organization does not receive our funding—or describe what our funding would add to our community.
• End with a heartfelt ask and a thank you.
During the question and answer session, a member of the Steering Committee will ask the following four questions of each presenter (which could be a repeat of what you already provided):
1. How will the donation from 100+ Women be used? (be specific!)
2. Annual operating budget?
3. Current sources for funding?
4. How many people will benefit from this donation?
Good luck—we can't wait to hear about your favorite nonprofit!